Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The yoga of Procrastination

I am the Queen of Procrastination-- if not the reigning queen, at least some sort of royalty.   It's a habit that I cannot break because I have not tried.  Honestly, I didn't even consider it a "habit" (don't you hate that word--- honestly, when do we ever use it in a good sense?) until recently.

I've been procrastinating writing these blog posts, not because I dislike writing (it's actually one of my preferred activities), or because I dislike the topic of yoga (usually you can't get me to stop talking about yoga), and not because I don't have anything to say or contribute.  I have been procrastinating writing these blogs merely because it was an assignment given to me.  

Raise your hand if you can relate.

You could be happily engaging in your favorite activity when somebody else says, "Oh good, you're doodling endlessly on a notebook.  Would you mind filling up the entire cover before tonight?  I'll give you ten dollars!"  All of a sudden that fun task is now a job with a deadline.  Of course I would agree, wouldn't you?  Ten dollars for doodling on a notebook that is almost filled anyway?!  Heck ya!

But of course, within minutes, I would get bored and decide that it would be waaaay better to doodle on my shoe, or the other notebook I have, or my bare leg.  All of a sudden it's ten minutes before "tonight" and I still haven't finished the cover.  

Oftentimes you will find list making as a remedy to procrastination.  Am I the only one that finds that completely counter productive??  As soon as I write down a list of things that NEED to get done today, it feels like a demand.  I will almost always do everything else that needs to be done around the house EXCEPT for the things on the list.  I've heard one writer call this the "Ninja" approach to procrastination.  If you're putting off a task, do other things that need to be done, instead of doing unproductive things like endlessly googling pictures of celebrities or something.  

What IS it about being told to do something that makes me so averse to doing it!?  Well, here's my yogic take on this form of procrastination.

In order to resolve the problem, break the habit, stop kicking the wheel, stop the cycle of perpetuation, or whatever phrase you'd like to insert here, I need to see the situation clearly.  Is it a problem?  Really?  Why is it a problem?  Am I hurting people?  Am I hurting myself?  What are the consequences of continuing life without changing this part of me?  Do I like this part of me?
Pondering upon these questions will help you see the situation from different angles.  It's not judging the habit--- that can be counterproductive because judgment brings guilt or shame or embarrassment or other feelings with it.  You can't see something clearly when it is clouded by emotion.  Be honest and truthful.  It can be helpful to do some free-form journaling while pondering these questions.

Procrastination tends to correlate to the 3rd Chakra, the solar plexus.  Spending a few moments daily on awakening this chakra may help alleviate some of the symptoms.

Yoga poses that strengthen your core will help awaken your 3rd chakra.

Boat Pose and Lion's breath are explained very well here.
You could also do strong, standing poses like Warrior I and Warrior II.  Focusing on the strength needed to hold these poses.  Feel the strength radiating out from your core, granting you stability and power.

Taking time to meditate, using a mudra (hand position) that corresponds to the third chakra, will help awaken and enliven this power center in your body.   Come to a seated kneeling position (bottom on your heels), bring your hands together in front of your stomach fingertips together pointing away from you (like prayer position with the fingertips pointing away from your body), cross your thumbs and straighten your fingers.  With this hand position, focus on the third chakra and think about what it means and represents.  Chant the sound "RAM" (sounds like "Mom").

Bodhi Yoga offers a chakra healing deck of cards that is a wonderful tool in helping to awaken the chakras.


No comments:

Post a Comment