Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Healing Arts

My father passed away recently.  I say recently because it still feels as raw as the day it happened.  Really, it was quite a few months ago.  He died, fairly unexpectedly, from cancer.  It was unexpected in how quickly it all happened, but obviously, we knew he had cancer, so the possibility was always there.

The most bittersweet memories of my life are the few days that I spent at his bedside while he withered away.  I cannot think of those days without shedding tears, but also being filled with gratitude.  My entire family was there.  It was incredibly spiritual and sacred to be with my father as he passed in and out of this world.

During class today, I rested in Savasana with my students.  As I lay there, I remembered gently massaging acupressure points on my Dad's legs and face.  I re-lived the moments of helping him through the pain and nausea.  I was able, during that time, to give my one and only partner-yoga session.  I'm not technically trained in thai massage or thai partner yoga-- and this definitely was not a "normal" session-- but I used what little knowledge and training I had in hands-on adjusting and Marma points, to relieve some of his muscle aches.  He had been in bed for a long time, unable to move himself and unwilling to let the nurse move him.

Because of my training, and a spiritual gift I had been ignoring, I was able to "hear" him when he couldn't speak.  I could feel my Dad's energies, letting me know where  and how to move his joints to relieve pressure.

Since his passing, I have had several experiences with his spirit, letting me know that I have been blessed with the "healer's art."  It's a gift I have been given, and it's there for me to cultivate.

Yoga is a healing art.  I have been healed through yoga, and I have witnessed others be healed.  My mentor, Syl Carson, was healed physically from many ailments through yoga.  I have been healed mentally.  I'm still healing emotionally.

Yoga in sanskrit means "to yoke."  To bring all parts of your being together.  In my words: to make whole.

Learn more about Therapuetic Partner Yoga here:  http://www.gobodhiyoga.com/utah-yoga-partner-training/

No comments:

Post a Comment