Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sleep

Sometimes I think yoga is merely a wakeful sleep.

When we sleep our breathing deepens and lengthens.

In yoga, we lengthen and deepen our breath.

When we sleep our mind is free to explore the subconcious.

In yoga, we seek to free our mind.

When we sleep our body is at rest.

In yoga, we seek to bring rest and relaxation to our body.  We release tension.

When we sleep, our body is busy ridding itself of toxins, food, and waste from the day.

In yoga, we detoxify, ignite digestion, and speed-along waste removal through twists, bends, and deep breathing.

Obviously one does not replace the other, but I do think they improve together.  I certainly sleep better when I've practiced yoga that day, and my yoga practice is always more beneficial when I've had a good night's rest.  Lovely symbiosis of sorts.  :)

Bodhi Yoga  

No comments:

Post a Comment