Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Journey

Everything in life is a journey, and if you can learn to enjoy it, you will love life.

That's not a famous quote or anything, that's just what I think.  So often I get trapped into looking for the end result, that I forget the journey.  

Parenting is a journey.  In my desire to raise righteous, wise, and loving children (an "end result"), I forget that I won't be able to gauge my success in that goal until the process is over.  Sure, there are signs along the way.  When big brother decides to give little sister a hug instead of a punching her, or when sisters bring you a bag of Halloween candy and ask, "Pweese? Some?"  instead of eating the whole bag by themselves in the corner of their closet.  Those are moments that give a glimpse of a "job well-done," so to speak.

But oftentimes I forget to enjoy the moments that will bring about the "end result."  When big brother decides to kick the sister who has taken his toy and you have to explain about hurt and pain.  You have to show him the pain he's caused and help him see the consequences of his actions.  Which all sounds so much more pleasant than what happens (i.e. "Uh-oh!  Did you just kick your sister?! We do NOT kick.  Kicking hurts people; look at your sister.  Would you like it if she kicked you?  etc. etc.)

My yoga journey is the same.  I love being able to share wonderful insights or bits of knowledge about anatomy and yoga philosophy while teaching.  I love being able to make my way into a forearm stand and hold it confidently in the middle of the room.  I love seeing lean, strong muscles in my arms and legs.  

But I forget to love the moments that gave me those things.  I need to love the dolphin plank pose, held for many, many breaths that helped build the forearm stand.  I need to love the hours of study required for my certification that gives me those bits of knowledge I like to share.  I need to love gentle monotony of a regular flow that strengthened my soft bits into muscle.  

The other thing about journeys is that nobody is ever taking the same one.  My yoga journey (and parenting journey) are different than yours, and even though we might appear to be at the same place in our journeys, we got here in very different ways.  That means there is no place for judgment, only appreciation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment