Thursday, October 30, 2014

Kratu

Kratu was one of the four mind-born sons of Brahma, ______ .  He was intelligence personified.

My teacher, Syl Carson of Bodhi Yoga, used the word "kratu" to mean our personal wisdom and intelligence in action.  She would often tell us to use our "kratu" while practicing to make sure we don't get hurt, or to use our "kratu" while teaching others to make sure we are not hurting them.

I love this idea of intelligence in action.  It's one thing to know something, and it's another thing entirely to put that knowledge to use wisely.

Just as an example, let's talk about high school.  When I was 16 I knew how to drive.  I had taken drivers education; I passed my driving exam; I was given my license.  I knew how to drive.

I routinely put that knowledge into action by going to the city (an hours drive) with my friends regularly.  Not to mention the time I put in driving to and from school, parties, athletic events, etc.  I'd say I'd logged at least 1000 hours driving before I was 17.

But was I wise in the use of this knowledge??  oooooooh dear me.  I had 4 accidents before I was 18. Yes, you read that right.  3 of those 4 accidents happened within 6 months of each other.  I accidentally backed into a family friend in a parking lot; I turned left into an oncoming car; I rear-ended a fellow student when it was raining and slippery; and I side-swiped a concrete pillar in my sister's brand-new mini-van.  Sigh.  No, I was not wise in the practice of my driving knowledge.

Intelligence in action is using your knowledge wisely--- I may "know" how to do yoga because I've been practicing for years.  I may "know" how to teach yoga because I took a teacher training course.  But am I using that knowledge wisely?

It's an interesting question to ponder.  I believe that with every class I teach, with every new interaction with a student, and especially with my own personal practice time, my wisdom grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment