Sunday, September 28, 2014

Running Yoga

I really enjoy a good run.

I used to dislike running-- it made me hurt.  I got some Vibram five-finger shoes to try out and I've been a runner ever since.  They made my stride more natural, and all of a sudden my aches and pains went away.  This is not a paid endorsement, I just love my shoes :)

So after I go for a run, my favorite way to cool down and stretch my warm and tired muscles is to go through a few flowing postures.  Running raises my Vata, the energy of air and movement.  I like to take a few minutes to ground myself again by coming to my mat.

I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite post-run asanas and why I like them.

Low Lunge (Anjaneyasana)

After a few sun salutations, come into this asana from downward-facing dog.  Exhale your right leg forward between your hands, let your left knee drop to the mat, and gently inhale your torso upward, sweeping your arms above your head.  Make sure to keep your pelvis slightly tilted under as you let your hips sink toward the earth.  Let your chest gently rise toward the sky. 

I love the nice stretch this gives your hip flexors.  It keeps my psoas muscles from becoming too tight-- a problem that can often plague runners because of the repetitive lifting motion inherent in running.  Stretching these muscles can help reduce and relieve tendonitis in the hips.

Pyramid (Parsvottonasana)

From low lunge, exhale your arms to the mat, curl your back toes under allowing the left knee to lift off the mat.  You're in runner's lunge.  Inhale, allowing your chest to lift off your thigh, and exhale as you straighten your right leg, pressing your hips straight back.  Both legs straighten (only as far as your body allows with a straight back) as heels come to the mat, and hands come to blocks if needed.  Both hips face forward; let your head and neck relax into the forward fold.  Toes are pointing forward.

I like to move between runner's lunge on the inhale and pyramid on the exhale.  Gently loosening the hips and hamstrings.  Just be sure to keep those hips level and facing forward during Pyramid to get the full effect of the pose.

Triangle (Trikonasana)

Feet come to heel arch alignment (the right heel is in line with the left foot's arch-- so your front foot is facing forward, and your back foot is facing the side wall).  Inhale and reach your arms overhead, exhale and press your hips toward the back wall as you reach your right arm toward the front wall.  Allow your right hand to fall toward the mat, gently supporting you in the pose with either a block behind the right calf or placing your hand on your shin.  Hips are opening toward the side wall, and you feel three lines of energy--- radiating down and out your legs, stretching the crown of your head forward and your tailbone backward, lengthening your arms up and down.  


Revolved Triangle (Parivrtta Trikonasana)

Moving from Triangle pose, inhale your torso back to standing.  Legs remain where they are (back foot rotating in so it is pointing toward the upper left corner of your mat) as you reach forward with your left arm and square the hips.  Torso rotates toward the right.

I like how this gets to the muscles along the sides of my legs (especially around the iliotibial band-- the long tendon that runs along the side of your thigh from knee to hip).

There are so many asanas that can help you cool down from a run, but these are a few of my favorites.  Try them, I think you'll agree!

Bodhi Yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment